It is customary to think of patents as the perfect embodiment of intellectual property, providing its owners with business profit. Reality actually teaches us that only a small percentage of registered patents are turned into valuable commercial applications. However, the most common intellectual property – trade secrets – is the primary factor behind most success stories in the business world. Trade secrets cost less than patents. Unlike patents, they do not expire after 20 years, and they can remain secret without any limit in time (like the Coca-Cola secret formula). A lack of protection over your trade secrets puts your business's future in real and present risk. Scenarios where your trade secrets are leaked out could entail damages that are hard to imagine. For example, if your client list gets to your competitor; your list of suppliers and acquisition costs are revealed, and no other players are also able to meet your supply terms and pricing; your ex-employee, a senior in your marketing department, publishes data on your sales turnover, profitability and cost of sold goods; or an internal factor in the manufacturing system reveals your methods of operation, the systems you use, or the formulas through which you manufacture your products. In our world of social networks and employees mobility between jobs in the same industry, Particularly in Israel – all of the above scenarios are realistic and established. We at ES, Eli Shimony Attorneys-at-Law, provide holistic and preventative solutions to keep your trade secrets in the company.
How can we assist you?
- Preparing work procedures and assistance in operating an internal supervision mechanism to protect trade secrets.
- Setting an employment policy, including appropriate agreements, for employees in key functions.
- Drafting non-disclosure agreements for engagements with employees, freelancers and external consultants.
- Protecting trade secrets, of both individuals and companies, in business cooperation.
- Legal consultation and representation in protecting trade secrets or in commercializing trade secrets through an agreement.
Why do our clients choose us?
- We know how to bridge the generational gap between Y generation employees, used to exposure, and the IP based organization model.
- Time is money: when protecting trade secrets, time is of the essence. We work quickly and decisively.
- Preventative strategy: including marking your products as trade secrets or restricting access to authorized persons only.