Commercialization of copyrights in an original creation is an important source of income for many businesses. Brands such as Disney, television formats such as Big Brother, 'sticker' brands that lend their names and symbols to desirable electronic products, comics characters that were turned into popular computer games – these are all examples of businesses based on paying royalties to the rights holders. If you too have an original creation, we at ES, Eli Shimony Attorneys-at-Law, will assist you in the preliminary process of registering the work in Israel and abroad. Afterwards, we will assist you in defining your commercialization terms, as part of a license defining distribution, registration, use, sale and presentation rights of the protected content. And there is another aspect to the world of copyrights - in our age of globalization and the internet, the exposure of your creative products is unlimited. This is of course an exceptional window to business opportunities, but it is also a risk to the very establishment of the business on identity and content created with effort, original thinking and significant financial investment.
On the one hand, someone in the US might want to sign a licensing or distribution agreement with you of content you own, or receive your permission to use works and ideas you have developed. On the other hand, you might learn that the counterfeiting industry in Asia (or worse, here in Israel) is "on" to your designs, and decided to manufacture them without your permission and without signing a royalty agreement with you. In both the positive and the less positive scenario, you will require professional legal assistance to allow you to manage your copyrights.
How can we assist you?
- Consultation: identifying protectable works, defining fair use, proving ownership, risk analysis and management.
- Litigation: dealing with violations, representation in Israel and abroad, mediation and settlement agreements.
- Commercialization: local and international user and license agreements, negotiations for the sale or acquisition of rights.
Why do our clients choose us?
- Unique legal knowledge in the field of intellectual property, together with the technological capabilities to identify and prove violations.
- Work with content platforms and publishers – both in the traditional industry and in new media.
- We speak your language – we represent musicians, designers, application developers, computer game developers and more.
- Commercial approach: dealing with "chronic" infringement of rights as a fixed channel of income alongside standard transactions.